Varicose veins and their milder cousin’s spider veins are enlarged, bulging, blue or purple veins usually in your legs and feet. When they are at their worst, they are painful, otherwise, they are mostly an annoying cosmetic concern. Essential oils work well to prevent varicose veins altogether and to stop them from getting worse when they are still small.
Varicose Veins – Causes
Veins are the blood vessels that carry blood from your limbs towards your heart. Those in your legs must transport this blood against gravity, upwards to your chest. But varicose veins result when:
- Your veins are not elastic enough, so they cannot snap back to their normal size following periods of heavy blood flow, for example, during exercise.
- The valves in your veins are weakened, so they cannot prevent blood from flowing back towards your feet with gravity. This causes it to pool in your lower legs and feet.
- Your blood circulation is generally sluggish, or become sluggish because you stand or sit for too long without moving.
- You are overweight or pregnant, which increases the amount of blood in your body.
- Female hormonal imbalances such as during pregnancy, menopause, or while taking a contraceptive pill – all relax vein walls and reduces their elasticity.
These are the contributory factors that essential oils will have to tackle. Oils are not a miracle cure for large varicose veins. Medical treatments focus on closing those veins while oils must try to promote blood flow and vein health.